Friday 18 September 2009

Eagerly Awaiting the New Yeasayer Album

I remember a time when all I wanted to listen to was thrashy guitars and shouty vocals. Harmonies were for wimps and The Beach Boys were for Mini Babybel adverts but somewhere along the line something changed. Maybe I mellowed, maybe I got bored, maybe I jumped on the bandwagon but suddenly I found myself rediscovering my love for a good vocal performance.

There is an array of top notch harmonizers out there at the moment; Fleet Foxes, Panda Bear and Dirty Projectors to name but a few, but the band that's really getting my knickers in a twist at the moment is Yeasayer. Yeasayer audaciously describe their music as 'Middle Eastern-psych-snap-gospel'. Surprisingly this ostentatious labelling pretty much hits the mark. Mixing synths, cymbals and tribal drums with flawless vocal arrangements Yeasayer's music is some of the most uplifting and life affirming music that I've heard in a very long time. The first album All Hour Cymbals was released over a year ago and the new album is due out within the next few months. They recently contributed the epic 'Tightrope' to the Dark Was the Night compilation. If the rest of their new material is up to this standard then the new album is bound to be a mindblower.

Check out Tightrope here:



Sunrise:



And listen to their Daytrotter Studio session here:
http://concerts.wolfgangsvault.com/dt/yeasayer-concert/20030157-110837.html

No comments:

Post a Comment